White chocolate yule log recipe
Try a new twist on a classic Christmas yule log with this white chocolate and pomegranate version that's almost too pretty to eat. The white chocolate and mascarpone filling is mixed with pomegranate syrup for a beautiful marble effect, and the whole bake is decorated with jewels of pomegranate and chocolate shavings. This easy dessert is definitely going to wow your guests. See method
- 200ml pomegranate juice
- 140g caster sugar, plus 1½ tbsp for sprinkling
- vegetable oil, for greasing
- 4 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 100g self-raising flour
- 150g white chocolate, 130g roughly chopped, 20g peeled into shavings (optional)
- 250ml whipping cream
- 100g mascarpone
- 2 tbsp pomegranate seeds, to serve
No self-raising flour? Add 2 tsp baking powder for every 150g plain flour
Each serving contains
of the reference intake
- Put the pomegranate juice and 40g sugar into a small frying pan and set over a medium heat. Warm until the sugar has dissolved, then simmer for 5-6 mins until syrupy and reduced by half. Set aside to cool.
- Preheat the oven to gas 6, 200°C, fan 180°C. Grease and line a 22 x 28cm Swiss roll tin with nonstick baking paper, leaving a 3cm overhang at the short ends. Put the eggs and remaining 100g sugar in a mixing bowl and whisk with an electric whisk for 5-6 mins until thick and doubled in volume. Sift in the flour in 2 batches, gently folding in until just incorporated. Carefully scrape the mixture into the prepared tin and gently level. Bake for 9-11 mins until the sponge is lightly golden and springs back to the touch.
- Meanwhile, cut another piece of baking paper the same size and sprinkle with 1½ tbsp caster sugar. When the sponge is ready, carefully turn it out onto the sugared paper (you may need to slide a knife around the edges to loosen) and peel off the paper stuck to the sponge. Tightly roll the sponge up along the length inside the sugared paper and place seam-side down on a board to cool.
- Melt the chopped chocolate with 50ml cream in a heatproof bowl set over (but not touching) a pan of barely simmering water. Allow to cool for 5 mins.
- Meanwhile, whip the remaining cream to soft peaks, then whisk in the mascarpone. When the melted chocolate no longer feels warm, fold it into the cream; chill for 30 mins.
- Lightly fold in most of the cooled pomegranate syrup to create a marbled effect. Unroll the sponge and spread over a quarter of the white chocolate cream. Gently roll the sponge back up and place, seam-side down, on a serving plate. Use a spatula to spread the remaining cream over the roll, then chill for 1 hr. Scatter with the white chocolate shavings and pomegranate seeds, and drizzle over the remaining pomegranate syrup to serve.
See more Christmas desserts