Takes: 45 mins
Special diets: Vegetarian
50g plain flour
40g Tesco 30% less fat buttery spread, cubed and well chilled
40g rolled oats
20g light brown caster sugar
2 large Bramley cooking apples peeled and cored
3 tbsp apple juice
400g tin reduced-fat custard to serve
1. Ask a grown-up to help preheat the oven to Gas 4, 180°C, fan 160°C.
2. Sift the flour into a large mixing bowl. Use your fingertips to rub the butter spread into the flour until it looks like rough breadcrumbs. If the spread gets too warm, pop the bowl into the freezer for a few mins to cool it down. Stir in the oats and half the sugar; set aside.
3. With the help of a grown-up, peel and core the apples and slice into wedges roughly 2cm thick. Place them in an ovenproof dish about 14 x 20cm. Sprinkle over the cinnamon, then add the apple juice and stir to mix. This will help flavour the apples and stop them browning.
4. Spoon the crumble topping over the apple slices and place the dish on a baking tray. Ask a grown-up to help put the tray in the oven on the middle shelf and bake for 30-35 mins until bubbling around the edges and golden brown on top.
5. Allow to cool slightly and serve with warmed custard.
Made the recipe? Download your official Kids Cook certificate to print out once they’ve completed a recipe.
Find the certificate here.
See more Kids Cook videos here.