Wednesday: Sausages and champ
1 tbsp olive oil
3 onions, finely sliced
4 baking potatoes, peeled and chopped
250g fresh greens, washed, thick stems discarded, leaves shredded
2 tbsp plain flour
1 vegetable stock pot, made up to 500ml
8 pork sausages
3 spring onions, trimmed and finely chopped
150g 50% less fat crème fraîche
1. Heat the oil in a frying pan over a medium heat and fry the onions for 15-20 mins, stirring, until golden and caramelised. Add a splash of water if the onions start to catch.
2. Boil the potatoes for 15-20 mins until very tender and a fork goes into them very easily. Put the greens in a metal colander or steamer basket over the potatoes for the last 5-6 mins to steam until tender.
3. Sprinkle the flour over the onions and stir in until it disappears. Gradually add the stock, stirring, until combined. Bring to a simmer, then bubble gently for 10 mins until thickened. Preheat the grill to high.
4. Grill the sausages for 8-10 mins, turning a few times, until golden brown and cooked through.
5. Drain the potatoes and leave to steam-dry in the colander for 1 min before tipping back into the pan. Mash well, then fold in the crème fraîche and spring onions; season.
6. Divide the champ between plates and top with the sausages and greens. Transfer the onion gravy to a warmed jug and serve alongside for everyone to help themselves.