Cashew and coconut bars
1 vegetable oil, for greasing
150g cashew nuts
200g dates, stoned
75g dessiccated coconut
2 tbsp almond or peanut butter
1 orange, zested and juiced
2 tbsp chia seeds
50g dark chocolate, roughly chopped
Makes 14 bars
1. Grease and line a 20.5cm square tin with nonstick baking paper.
2. In a food processor, blitz the cashews and dates until finely chopped. Add the coconut and blitz again. Add the almond or peanut butter, orange zest and juice, and chia seeds; blitz until the mixture comes together.
3. Spoon the mixture into the tin, levelling the top and pressing into each corner. Chill for at least 30 minutes.
4. In a heatproof bowl set over a pan of just simmering water, melt the chocolate, stirring. Allow to cool slightly, then put in a small piping bag.
5. Cut the chilled mix into bars and remove from the tin. Pipe the melted chocolate on top of each – it will set quickly. Keep chilled in an airtight container for up to 2 weeks.
Tip: Swap dates for ready-to-eat dried apricots if you prefer.
Calories 158 (8%), sugar 7g (8%), fat 12g (17%), saturates 7g (8%), salt <0.1g (1%), based on a serving (entire recipe makes 14 bars).