Lemon and blueberry French toast
If you're after something a little different for a weekend brunch, this fresh and zesty dish made with only organic ingredients is for you. Instead of a classic pile of blueberry pancakes, try loading lemon-spiked French toast with blueberry and honey compote.
- To make the blueberry compote, put the blueberries, 2 tbsp honey, the lemon juice, cornflour and 1 tbsp water in a small saucepan over a low heat. Stir slowly for 5 mins until the blueberries have popped and released their juices and the mixture has thickened to a jammy consistency. Cover and keep warm.
- In a jug, whisk together the milk, eggs, vanilla extract, most of the lemon zest and 1 tbsp honey until well combined.
- Place the bread slices in a shallow dish and pour over the egg mixture. Allow the bread to sit in the mixture for 2 mins before carefully turning over with a fork and resting for another 2 mins on the other side.
- Heat the oil and butter in a large nonstick frying pan over a medium heat until foaming. Carefully add the soaked bread slices to the pan and fry for 3-4 minutes on each side until golden and crisp.
- Transfer to warmed serving plates and spoon over some of the blueberry compote. Dust with a little icing sugar, if using, and top with a little lemon zest. Serve immediately.
See more Brunch recipes
View full recipe details