Kung Pao beef
This speedy dinner for two recipe is the perfect healthy homemade alternative to a classic takeaway. With a spicy Szechuan peppercorn and chilli sauce, this stir-fried beef recipe is packed with flavour, high in protein and dairy-free.
- Cook the rice to pack instructions, then drain. Put the colander over the pan, cover, and set aside to let the rice steam.
- Meanwhile, whisk the rice wine, soy sauces and vinegar with 2 tbsp water and the cornflour to make a smooth sauce.
- Heat a wok over a high heat. Add the oil, swirling around the pan to coat. Add the nuts and stir-fry for 30-40 secs, until golden. Remove with a slotted spoon and set aside.
- Add the beef to the wok and sear on a high heat for 1-2 mins, stirring. Add the garlic, ginger and two-thirds of the spring onions, and stir-fry for 2-3 mins, until the beef is just cooked. Add the Szechuan pepper, if using, and the chillies. Stir-fry for 30 secs, until fragrant.
- Whisk the sauce again, pour over the beef and stir-fry for 1-2 mins. Add the remaining spring onion, mix together and serve with the rice.
See more Chinese recipes
For top tips on protecting you and your family when preparing raw meat and poultry, visit Food Safety in the Home.
View full recipe details