Jimmy's 'Finest' steak for two
Jimmy and his dad usually share all the cooking since his parents went their separate ways. But tonight his dad’s got a date. So Jimmy’s helping out by cooking them a real treat of a romantic meal for two while Dad gets ready. All Dad needs to do is pour the wine… and keep the conversation flowing!
- Preheat the oven to gas 4, 180°C, fan 160°C. To make the Dauphinoise, layer the potatoes in a baking dish, seasoning every other layer.
- In a jug, mix the cream, milk, garlic and thyme leaves. Season, then pour over the potatoes. Grate a thin layer of Parmesan over the top if you like, then cover with foil and bake for 1 hr. Remove the foil and cook for a further 15 mins until browned on top.
- Meanwhile, rest the steaks at room temperature for 10-20 mins.
- Heat a griddle pan over a high heat. Season the steaks on both sides, sprinkle with the thyme, then rub the oil over the steaks to cover. When the pan is hot, add the steaks. For rare steaks, fry for 2-3 mins; for medium, fry for 4-5 mins; for well done, fry for 7-8 mins. Turn once halfway through. When cooked to your liking, remove from the pan and leave to rest for at least 5 mins.
- Mix the watercress in a bowl with the dressing. Serve with the Dauphinoise and steak.
Rest your steak after cooking for 5 mins or half the cooking time, whichever is longer, so it reabsorbs the juices.
For top tips on protecting you and your family when preparing raw meat and poultry, visit Food Safety in the Home.
View full recipe details