1. Preheat the air-fryer to 200°C.
2. Put all the ingredients for the falafel, except the oil, into the bowl of a food processor and pulse until finely chopped. Add 2-3 tbsp of the reserved chickpea liquid, and blend until the mixture is sticking together.
3. Divide the mixture into 8 and press gently into patties.
4. Spray the air-fryer basket with sunflower oil and place the falafels in a single layer. Spray the tops with more oil and cook for 15 mins until crisp and browned.
5. Meanwhile, put the sliced red onion into a small bowl along with the vinegar and a pinch of salt. Leave to pickle for 10 mins, then drain.
6. To assemble, lay the flatbreads or wraps out and spread thickly with the houmous. Top with the crisp falafels and heap on the pickled onions, sliced tomatoes and gherkins. Add a pickled chilli, if you like, and serve while warm.
See more Vegetarian recipes