Apple baklava recipe
For the filling
- 4 large eating apples, peeled, cored and sliced thinly
- 110g pistachios, shelled and finely chopped
- 110g hazelnuts, finely chopped
- 1/4tsp ground cloves
For the pastry
- 225g unsalted butter, melted
- 350g frozen filo pastry, thawed
- 410g caster sugar
- 285ml water
- 1tbsp honey
- 1 1/2tsp ground cinnamon
- 1tbsp sesame seeds
Each serving contains
of the reference intake
- In a large mixing bowl, toss together the ingredients for the filling apart from the apple slices. Cover the thawed filo pastry with a damp cloth.
- Brush a 10 inch x 15 inch non-stick, roasting tray with some of the melted butter. Cut the pastry to size and lay one sheet on top of the melted butter. Brush the top with more melted butter. Repeat this process until you have a stack of 8 buttered sheets of filo pastry.
- Sprinkle the filling mixture on top and smooth to ensure it is level. Top with a thin layer of apple slices. Brush the top of the apple with melted butter and then repeat the filo pastry layering process until you have a stack of 8 sheets of filo pastry on top with melted butter and apple in between each layer.
- Pre-heat the oven to 170 degrees. Heat any remaining melted butter until boiling and drizzle over the baklava. Bake for 1 – 1 ¼ hours until golden all over.
- Meanwhile, combine the sugar, honey, water and ground spices in a large saucepan. Bring to boiling point over a medium-high heat and then reduce to a simmer for 10 minutes. Set aside this syrup to cool while the baklava finish baking.
- Once baked, remove the baklava from the oven and allow to sit for 1 minute before pouring the syrup over the top. Sprinkle with the sesame seeds on top of the syrup. Allow to cool a little before cutting into portions and serving.
See more Dessert recipes