1. Preheat the oven to gas 6, 200°C, fan 180°C.
2. Put the panko breadcrumbs, flour and beaten egg into separate shallow bowls. Season the flour with black pepper, salt and dried oregano.
3. Dip the aubergine slices first into the flour, then the egg, followed by the breadcrumbs until well coated.
4. Heat the oil in a non-stick frying pan over medium heat and cook the aubergine for 3-4 mins on each side until golden brown and softened in the middle.
5. Slice the ciabatta in half and put on a baking tray cut-side up. Mix together the tomato purée, garlic purée, extra-virgin olive oil and a large pinch of chopped basil. Season well with black pepper. Spread the mixture on the bottom half of the ciabatta and top with the fried aubergine slices.
6. Tear over the fresh mozzarella and bake for 6-8 mins until the cheese has melted and the bread is crisp.
7. Add the salad leaves on top, sprinkle with remaining basil and sandwich closed with the top of the bread.
Tip: Aubergine can oxidise and turn brown once cut, so why not cook a double batch of fried aubergine and save for future recipes like aubergine parmigiana or a hearty salad with ciabatta croutons?
See more Vegetarian recipes