We all love a fast food treat every now again, and this recipe from chef Derek Sarno turns a hearty sandwich into a healthy, veg-packed meal that happens to be vegan. As Executive Chef Director of plant-based innovation at Tesco, Derek is always looking for new ways to hero vegetables, such as with these crispy, breaded aubergine steaks and spicy sweet potato ‘mayo’. Layered together with crunchy cabbage slaw, this is a sarnie with attitude.
- Preheat the oven to gas 6, 200°C, fan 180°C. Put the aubergines, cut side down, on a baking sheet lined with nonstick baking paper. Roast for 20-25 mins until very soft. Set aside to cool.
- Meanwhile, bake the sweet potato for the ‘mayo’ for 35-40 mins until soft. Leave to cool, then scoop out the flesh and discard the skin.
- Once the aubergine has cooled, use a spoon to carefully remove the flesh from the skin in one piece. Discard the skin.
- In a small bowl, whisk 25g flour with the milk; season. In a second bowl, mix the remaining flour with the smoked paprika, dill and 1 tsp black pepper.
In a third bowl, mix the breadcrumbs, Italian seasoning and lemon zest.
- Lightly cover the aubergine halves in the spiced flour, then dip in the milk mixture and finally the breadcrumbs, ensuring that each one is evenly coated. Transfer to a baking tray lined with nonstick baking paper and bake for 20-25 mins until crisp and golden.
- Meanwhile, make the slaw. In a medium-sized bowl, whisk the sugar with the lemon juice and sesame oil until dissolved. Add the sprouts, cabbage and mint, season well and toss to coat. Set aside.
- Blitz the cooked sweet potato with the other ‘mayo’ ingredients in a blender until smooth.
- To assemble the sandwiches, cover the bottom halves of the baps with 1 tbsp of the ‘mayo’, followed by an aubergine ‘fillet’ and a heaped tbsp of slaw. Add an extra spoonful of ‘mayo’ to the inside of the top half of the baps and cover the sandwiches. Serve immediately.
Tip: You’ll make more sweet potato ‘mayo’ than you’ll need, but it will keep for up to five days in the fridge.
See more Vegan recipes