Try these mouthwatering aubergine and red pepper parcels for a barbecue recipe with a difference. Sure to delight vegetarians and meat eaters alike, these tasty parcels feature slices of charred aubergine wrapped around slivers of fresh tomato, roasted red pepper and creamy feta cheese.
- Cut the top off each aubergine and slice lengthways into 6 thin pieces, taking the rounded edge off the first and last pieces. Preheat a barbecue or griddle pan until hot. Brush the aubergine slices with oil and cook for 3-4 minutes on each side, or until there are char marks on each side and the aubergine has softened.
- Mix together the herb paste, lemon juice, chilli and garlic. Cut the feta in half horizontally and then into 12 pieces.
- Once cooked, brush the aubergines on each side with some of the herb mixture and add a little seasoning.
- Brush both sides of the cooked aubergine slices with a little of the herb paste. Place two together lengthways with the ends overlapping, pin together with a cocktail stick. Pop a piece of tomato on top of this overlapping section, then top with cheese and a piece of pepper. Wrap the aubergine over the top and secure with another cocktail stick. Repeat with the remaining pieces of aubergine. Do this with the remaining slices of aubergine and fillings to make 12 parcels. Brush the tops with a little more of the herb sauce.
- Return the parcels to the barbecue and cover with a lid for 5-10 minutes, until the cheese has softened. If you don't have a lid, wrap the aubergines, in groups of 3, in foil and place on the barbecue for 10 minutes.
See more Vegetarian BBQ recipes