Special enough for a weekend dinner party but easy enough for a midweek meal, these healthy pesto and mozzarella stuffed chicken breasts pack a flavour punch. Serve with a simple Italian-inspired pasta salad for a breezy summer supper that the whole family will love.
- Preheat the oven to gas 6, 200°C, fan 180°C. Blitz the basil in a food processor with the garlic, pine nuts, 1 tbsp oil and seasoning into a smooth pesto. Add 1-2 tsp water to loosen if necessary.
- Cut a slit into the thickest side of each chicken breast. Spoon a dollop of the pesto and 2 mozzarella slices into each slit. Secure each opening shut with a cocktail stick. Put on a baking tray and cook in the oven for 20-25 minutes, or until cooked through and the juices run clear.
- Meanwhile, in a pan of salted, boiling water, cook the fusilli for 10-12 minutes, until al dente. Drain, refresh under cold water and shake dry. Transfer to a bowl.
- Stir the tomatoes, olives and parsley through the pasta with the vinegar and remaining oil.
- Preheat a barbecue or griddle pan. Brush the chicken with a little oil and cook on each side, until the chicken is charred to your liking. Rest for 5 minutes and serve with the pasta salad and salad leaves.
Tip: You will have about 2 tbsp pesto left over. It will keep, chilled, in a jar for up to three days.
Freezing and defrosting guidelines
Freeze the uncooked, stuffed chicken only. Transfer to an airtight, freezer-safe container, seal and freeze for up to 1-3 months. To serve, defrost thoroughly in the fridge overnight before continuing with the recipe.
See more Chicken recipes
For top tips on protecting you and your family when preparing raw meat and poultry, visit Food Safety in the Home.