Brown butter and bacon carrots recipe
Here's a great Christmas or Sunday lunch side that won't take up oven space. Simply boil the carrots until tender, then fry in smoky bacon, brown butter, sage and lemon. This is seriously delicious yet so simple and speedy. See method
- 2kg carrots
- 200g pack smoked bacon lardons
- 60g butter
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 10g fresh sage, finely chopped
1 of your 5-a-day and high in fibre
Each serving contains
of the reference intake
- Peel the carrots and cut diagonally into 1cm slices. Tip into a lidded saucepan, add the pinch of salt and cover with cold water. Cover, bring to a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for 8-10 mins until just tender. Drain; set aside
- Meanwhile, fry the smoked bacon lardons in a frying pan over a medium-high heat for 5-6 mins, stirring, until golden, crisp and the fat has rendered down. Transfer to a bowl and set aside.
- Return the pan to the heat, add the butter and cook for 2-3 mins until golden brown and nutty smelling, reducing the heat if it’s turning too dark. Add the carrots, season and cook for 10-12 mins until golden brown. Finely chop the sage and add most to the carrots, along with the bacon and lemon juice. Transfer to a serving bowl and scatter over the remaining sage.
See more Christmas side dishes