Breakfast for dinner? Every time! Try this quirky meal served in a bread bowl. Fill a hollowed loaf with gooey melted cheese, spicy chorizo sauce and a perfectly cooked egg for a generous meal for two.
- Preheat the oven to gas 4, 180°C, fan 160°C. Use a bread knife to slice off the top of the bread, then scoop out the inside to make a large cavity. Brush all over with 1 tbsp olive oil. Place on a baking sheet and cook in the oven for 5 mins.
- Meanwhile, heat the remaining olive oil in a large frying pan. Add the chorizo and mushrooms and cook for 3-5 mins until the chorizo is just browned. Add the garlic to the pan, followed by the tomatoes, crushed chillies and leaves from 1 thyme sprig. Cook for about 2 mins until the tomatoes are starting to break down.
- Add the tomato purée and 2 tbsp of water and cook for a few mins more until most of the liquid has been absorbed.
- Add the spinach to the pan and cook, stirring often, until wilted. Spoon the mixture into the bread. Scatter over half the Gruyere and Cheddar cheese and crack the egg on top.
- Scatter the remaining cheese on top of the egg white and finish with the remaining thyme leaves. Bake in the oven for 15-20 minutes until the cheese is melted and the egg white is cooked.
- Meanwhile, boil the asparagus in a pan of salted water for about 3 mins until just cooked. Serve alongside the bread bowl, to dunk in.
As part of a healthy balanced diet, we recommend this recipe for a special occasion or treat.