Flatbreads with tomato topping recipe
For a quick and easy Mother's Day recipe that the kids will love helping to make try these delicious tomato and garlic flatbreads. With sweet cherry tomatoes, a drizzle of sticky honey and a few sprigs of fresh rosemary, they are bursting with flavour and make a scrumptious Mother's Day snack or light lunch. See method
For the topping
- 1 garlic clove, chopped or ½ tsp garlic purée
- 1 medium red onion, chopped
- 32 cherry tomatoes, cut in half
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp vinegar
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- ½ tsp honey
- 4 sprigs of rosemary, basil or parsley
For the flatbreads
- 150g self-raising flour
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- 150g low-fat natural yogurt
- extra flour for rolling out
If you don't have red onions, try using white, brown or spring onions
Each serving contains
of the reference intake
- Heat the oil in a small saucepan and add the onion and garlic. Cook gently for 4 mins, stirring occasionally. Add the tomatoes and cook for 2 mins. Remove from the heat.
- To make the flatbreads, sieve the flour into a mixing bowl and add the black pepper. Add the yogurt and stir until mixed. Children will enjoy sieving the flour and mixing in the yogurt to make the dough.
- Tip the dough out onto a clean, floured surface and knead gently until smooth. Divide the dough into 4 balls.
- Lightly dust a worktop with flour and, using a rolling pin, roll out each ball to the size of a saucer. Children can get involved with rolling out the dough.
- Heat a non-stick frying pan and cook the flatbreads one at a time until they are crisp and golden – about 3 mins on each side. Be careful to turn down the heat once the breads have started cooking. Once cooked, wrap them in a clean tea towel to keep them warm.
- Add the vinegar, black pepper and honey to the tomato mixture and put back on the heat. Cook for a further 2 mins, stirring carefully.
- Serve each flatbread topped with the tomato mixture and garnished with a sprig of rosemary, basil or parsley.
See more Mother's Day recipes