Indian coriander and chilli omelette recipe
- 1tbsp rapeseed or olive oil
- 1 small red onion, halved then sliced into very thin slivers
- 1 plump green chilli, seeds left in (or remove some seeds for a milder taste), finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped or grated
- 1/4tsp yellow or black mustard seeds
- 1 medium tomato, chopped
- 4 large eggs
- 2tbsp milk
- 1tsp coriander powder
- 3tbsp roughly chopped coriander
If you don't have red onions, try using white, brown or spring onions
Each serving contains
of the reference intake
- Heat the oil in a large non-stick frying pan (with about a 23cm base). Tip in the onion and chilli and fry for 3-4 minutes until the onion is just starting to soften. Next stir in the garlic, mustard seeds and the tomato and fry a minute or two longer.
- Beat the eggs in a bowl and stir in the milk, coriander powder and fresh coriander. Season with salt and pepper. Preheat the grill to high.
- Pour the egg mixture into the pan and cook for 3-4 minutes, tipping the pan to let the raw mixture flow to the edges as it starts to set. When the eggs are set underneath and the base is golden, transfer the pan to the grill and cook for a couple of minutes until the top is just starting to set and look puffy. Remove, and serve cut in wedges.
See more Indian recipes
If serving vulnerable groups, elderly people, toddlers, pregnant women and people who are unwell, ensure eggs are cooked thoroughly.