Kids will love this tasty Eton mess. Raspberries and strawberries are classic Eton mess berries, but feel free to substitute for your family’s favourite fruits.
- Preheat the oven to Gas Mark ½, 120°C, fan 100°C. Line a baking tray with nonstick baking paper. Split the vanilla pod and reserve the seeds for the recipe.
- Whisk the egg whites to soft peaks in a bowl, then slowly add the caster sugar. Whisk continuously until the egg and sugar are combined.
- Using a rubber spatula, spread the meringue mix onto the baking tray. Place the meringue in the oven for 2 hours to dry out. Turn off the oven and leave the meringue inside until completely cool.
- While the meringue dries, mix the yogurt with the vanilla seeds into a bowl.
- Wash, hull and quarter the strawberries. Older children can help prepare the strawberries.
- Carefully wash the raspberries and blend them in a blender until smooth. Sieve out the seeds and add a pinch of sugar, if needed, to sweeten the purée.
- When the meringue is hardened and cooled, help the children break it into pieces in a large bowl. Add the vanilla yogurt and strawberries, along with any juice from the cut strawberries that may have collected.
- Carefully mix, being sure not to break the meringue up too much more. Gently stir in the raspberry purée, then serve the mess in glasses or tumblers.
See more Summer dessert recipes