Meringues with pears and spiced chocolate caramel sauce recipe
Sweet meringues lie under sharp Conference pears and a drizzle of spiced chocolate caramel sauce See method
- 4 medium egg whites
- 270g light brown sugar
- 4 Conference pears, peeled, cored and sliced
- 50g pecans, toasted and chopped
For the chocolate caramel sauce
- 125ml whipping cream
- 1 cinnamon stick
- pinch of nutmeg
- 1 clove
- 1 star anise
- 50g dark chocolate, finely chopped
- 70g unsalted butter
If you don't have any pears, try using apples
Each serving contains
of the reference intake
- Preheat the oven to gas 1, 140°C, fan 120°C and line a large baking tray with nonstick baking paper. Whisk the egg whites in a large bowl with an electric whisk for 3-4 mins until stiff peaks form. Add 220g sugar, a spoonful at a time, whisking back to stiff peaks after each addition. Continue until all the sugar has been incorporated, then whisk for another 3 mins or until stiff and glossy.
- Divide the mixture into 6 x 8-10cm rounds on the baking tray, leaving space between each. Create a hollow in the middle of each one with the back of a spoon. Bake for 1 hr 15 mins, then turn the the oven off, leaving the meringues inside with the door ajar. Leave to cool for 1-2 hrs.
- Meanwhile, heat the cream in a small pan with the spices until steaming; don’t let it boil. Remove from the heat and set aside to infuse for 30 mins. Strain and discard the spices, then pour the cream back into the pan with the chocolate, 50g butter and the remaining 50g sugar. Stir over a low heat for 3-4 mins until the sugar has dissolved; bring to a gentle simmer, then remove from the heat.
Melt 10g butter in a frying pan over a medium-high heat and cook half the pear slices for 2-3 mins each side until golden. Transfer to a plate and repeat with the remaining pears, adding another 10g butter.
Place the meringues on serving plates, spoon on some chocolate sauce and top with the caramelised pears. Drizzle over more sauce and scatter with the pecans to serve.
See more Adventurous Christmas baking recipes