Slow-cooker chicken casserole recipe
Cooked in a rich tomato sauce with sweet paprika and smoky chorizo, this easy slow-cooker chicken casserole recipe is a perfect dish to feed the family. It’s cooked with butter beans, so all you need to serve it with is a little crusty bread for dunking. See method
- 600g skinless, boneless chicken thigh fillets
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp smoked sweet paprika
- 225g pack Spanish chorizo ring, sliced into rounds
- 2 red onions, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp plain flour
- pinch saffron (optional)
- 2 chicken stock cubes, made up to 600ml
- 70g tomato purée
- 250g baby plum tomatoes
- 3 celery sticks, cut into 3cm pieces
- 2 x 400g tins butterbeans, rinsed and drained
- large handful flat-leaf parsley, roughly chopped
Colman's Chicken Casserole Recipe Mix 40G
If you don't have red onions, try using white, brown or spring onions
Each serving contains
of the reference intake
- Set your slow-cooker to medium. Coat the chicken in 1 tbsp olive oil and paprika. Season with salt and pepper and then set aside.
- Heat the remaining oil in a large frying pan on a medium-high heat and add the chorizo, cook for 3-4 mins. Turn the heat down to medium, add the onions and cook for a further 3-4 mins or until soft. Add the garlic and flour, cook for 1 min, then remove from the pan and set aside.
- Put the saffron (if using) in a small glass and pour over 2 tbsp boiling water to infuse.
- Heat the same frying pan used to cook the chorizo and onions on a medium-high heat. Add the chicken to the pan and brown on each side for 1 min or until golden.
- Add the chicken, chorizo and onions to the slow-cooker. Pour over the stock and tomato puree. Add the baby plum tomatoes, celery and saffron-infused water (if using). Stir well to combine, cover with the lid and cook for 2.5-3 hrs or until the chicken is very tender.
- Add the butter beans, cover and cook for 15 mins. Divide the casserole into bowls and top with chopped parsley. Serve with grains such as couscous or quinoa, or crusty bread to dip.
Freezing and defrosting guidelines
Once the casserole has cooled completely, transfer it to a freezer-safe container, freeze for up to 1-3 months. To serve, defrost thoroughly in the fridge overnight before reheating on a low heat in a saucepan until hot and bubbling, around 15-20 mins.
See more Slow-cooker recipes
For top tips on protecting you and your family when preparing raw meat and poultry, visit Food Safety in the Home.