Fragrantly spiced with cinnamon and ground ginger, and cooked with dates for a lovely sweet taste, this simple slow cooker chicken recipe is excellent served up at a dinner party. Why not try swapping the chicken thighs for lamb shanks? Just prepare the recipe in the same way and cook for 3-4 hours longer, until the meat is falling off the bone.
- Put the chicken thighs in a bowl and add the spices. Toss well to coat.
- Heat the olive oil in a frying pan and sauté the onion for 2 minutes and then add the walnuts. Cook for another minute.
- Put the potatoes in a slow cooker. Add the chicken and then spoon in the sautéed onions and walnuts. Sprinkle over the dates and pour in the stock.
- Cook for 4 1/2 – 5 hours on a low heat, until the chicken is cooked through (with no pink meat showing).
- Meanwhile, stir the Harissa paste into the yogurt.
- Serve the chicken on a bed of steamed greens such as kale with the spiced yogurt on the side.
Freezing and defrosting guidelines
Cook as instructed and allow to cool completely. Then transfer to an airtight, freezer-safe container, seal and freeze for up to 1 month. To serve, defrost thoroughly in the fridge overnight before reheating. To reheat and serve, place on medium heat, stirring occasionally until the dish is heated through.
See more Slow cooker recipes
For top tips on protecting you and your family when preparing raw meat and poultry, visit Food Safety in the Home.