Strawberry and vanilla cupcakes recipe
These fruity strawberry and vanilla cupcakes are the perfect way to spoil your loved ones this Mother's Day. Bake a batch of these scrumptious sweet treats, filled with strawberry jam and topped with decadent vanilla buttercream, to enjoy alongside a steaming cup of tea. See method
No self-raising flour? Add 2 tsp baking powder for every 150g plain flour
Each serving contains
of the reference intake
- Preheat the oven to gas 4, 180°C, fan 160°C. Line a 12-hole muffin tin with cupcake cases. In a bowl, beat the butter and sugar with an electric whisk until light and fluffy.
- Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Sift in the flour and a pinch of salt, then fold in the vanilla extract.
- Divide two-thirds of the cake mixture between the cupcake cases. Add 1 tsp of jam to the centre of each, then top with the remaining cake mixture. Bake for 20 mins, or until risen and a skewer inserted into the middle comes out clean. Leave to cool in the tin for 10 mins, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- To make the icing, beat the buttercream in a bowl with an electric whisk until light and fluffy. Spoon half the mixture into a separate bowl, then add pink food colouring, a few drops at a time, beating until the desired shade is reached.
- Spoon the plain and pink icing into separate piping bags, then cut off the ends to make a 1cm hole. Put both bags into a third piping bag fitted with a 1cm round nozzle. Pipe a swirl of icing on each cupcake.
Freezing and defrosting guidelines
Bake according to the recipe but stop before adding decoration or icing. Allow to cool completely. Wrap well in clingfilm and tin foil (to prevent freezer burn) and freeze for up to 3 months.
Loosen the tin foil and clingfilm but leave to defrost in packaging at room temperature for several hours before serving. If you wish to serve the baked goods warm, place them on a baking sheet for 10 mins in a moderate oven.
If you wish to add icing or decoration, add them after the baked goods have fully defrosted and are at room temperature.
See more Baking recipes
As part of a healthy balanced diet, we recommend this recipe for a special occasion or treat.