Valentine's pink pancakes recipe
Kick off your Valentine's Day with breakfast in bed by making this Valentine's pink pancakes recipe. Made using pancake mix for an easy shortcut, serve the fluffy pink pancakes with a warm berry and citrus compote for a sweet brunch. See method
For the compote
- 150g frozen mixed berries
- 1½ tbsp icing sugar, plus extra for dusting
- ½ tsp vanilla bean paste
- ½ orange, zested and juiced
For the pancakes
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 155g pancake shaker mix
- pink food colour gel
- 20g butter, cubed
Each serving contains
of the reference intake
- First, tip all the compote ingredients into a small saucepan and bring to the boil. Reduce to a simmer and cook for 8-10 mins, stirring occasionally, until the sauce is syrupy but the berries are still holding their shape. Set aside.
- Next, make the pancakes. Add the baking powder to the shaker, reseal and shake to combine. Pour 180ml of water and a generous squeeze of the pink food gel into the mix, reseal and shake for 2 mins until smooth. If you would like the batter to be a more vibrant pink, squeeze in an extra drop of food gel at this stage and shake to combine.
- Add a cube of butter to a large, nonstick frying pan over a medium-high heat and, working in batches, pour the batter into the pan to create roughly 8cm pancakes. Cook for 1-2 mins until bubbles appear in the batter. Flip and then cook for a further 1-2 mins until risen and fluffy. Repeat with the remaining mixture.
- Cut the pancakes into hearts using an 8cm heart-shaped cookie cutter. Stack the pancakes on a plate, drizzle with the compote and dust with icing sugar to serve.
See more Valentine’s recipes