Vegan chocolate cake
Following a special diet needn't mean missing out on scrumptious food. This rich vegan chocolate cake is made with almond milk and coconut oil and topped with a decadent dairy-free buttercream, giving it a luxuriously creamy finish.
- Preheat oven to gas 3, 170°C, fan 150°C. Lightly grease an 18cm (7in) round cake tin with coconut oil.
- Mix the almond milk and cider vinegar in a large mixing bowl, and allow to set for a few minutes to activate. Add the coconut oil, coffee, vanilla extract, and pear purée and beat until foamy.
- Add the flour, sugar, cocoa powder, bicarbonate of soda and baking powder to the wet ingredients and mix well. Taste, and adjust sweetness by adding more sugar, if desired.
- Pour mixture into the prepared tin. Bake for 25-30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the centre comes out clean. Leave to cool completely before frosting.
- Meanwhile, prepare the buttercream frosting by beating together all the ingredients until light and fluffy. If the consistency is too thick, add more almond milk. If it's too thin, add more cocoa powder or light brown sugar.
- Once the cake is cooled, spread the frosting generously over the top and decorate with the raspberries, if using. Alternatively, omit the frosting and dust with cocoa powder.
See more Baking recipes
View full recipe details