Za'atar is a fragrant spice mix with sesame seeds, herbs and spices. Its warming nutty flavour lends itself to lots of recipes; try our herby potato wedges, za'atar-crusted salmon or really easy olive oil dip.
3 large Maris Piper potatoes, cut into wedges (roughly 650g) 2 tbsp vegetable oil 2 tbsp za’atar 1 lemon, zested 2 tbsp flat-leaf parsley, finely chopped
1. Preheat the oven to 220°C, fan 200°C, gas 7.
2. On a large baking tray, toss the potatoes in the oil and roast for 45-50 mins, turning occasionally until crisp and golden. Scatter over the Za’atar and return to the oven for 2 mins.
3. Toss with the lemon zest, parsley and season with freshly ground black pepper. Serve immediately.
4 tbsp fresh breadcrumbs (roughly 25g) 1 tbsp za’atar 1 lemon, zested 2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil 2 tbsp fresh thyme leaves 4 salmon fillets 1 spring onion, finely sliced
1. Preheat the oven to 200°C, fan 180°C, gas 6. Put the breadcrumbs in a bowl and mix with the za’atar, lemon zest, oil, thyme and a grind of black pepper until combined.
2. Place the salmon fillets on a baking tray, pat dry with kitchen paper and top with the breadcrumb mixture. Bake for 12-15 mins until the salmon is cooked through and the topping is golden and crisp. Scatter over the spring onions and serve.
1 x 225g Tesco Finest Rosemary & Garlic Focaccia handful basil, leaves picked, to garnish 3 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil 1 tbsp za’atar 1 small garlic clove, finely crushed
1. Preheat the oven to 200°C, fan 180°C, gas 6. Place the focaccia on a baking tray and warm in the oven for 5 mins. When cool enough to handle, tear into chunks and arrange on a plate or wooden board. Add a few grinds of black pepper and scatter over the basil leaves.
2. Meanwhile, combine the oil, za’atar and garlic in a small bowl. Serve with the focaccia for dipping.
There are lots more recipes using za'atar, try it in this showstopping lamb recipe where it's mixed with apricots and pistachios for a fragrant stuffing before roasting. For a simple midweek meal, these za'atar aubergine and courgette steaks would be fab with a grain salad or for a healthy snack the herb and seed blend has been blitzed with chickpeas and roasted red peppers in this pepper and za'atar houmous with crudités.
You should receive an email shortly.