Add a delicious Asian twist to mushroom burgers at your next barbecue. These vegetarian burgers are loaded with a crunchy Asian-style slaw and a sticky ginger and soy dressing.
- Put the mushrooms in a shallow bowl in a single layer. Combine the grated ginger, soy and sesame oil in a separate bowl, mixing well, and spoon 3 tablespoons over the mushrooms, turning them to coat.
- Add the lime juice to the remaining ginger-soy mixture and toss with the shredded cabbage, carrot and cucumber.
- Make sure the coals on your barbecue are white hot with no trace of flame. Place the mushrooms directly onto the bars of the barbecue, gills-sides down. Cook for 3-4 minutes before turning over and cooking for a further 3 minutes. The mushrooms should be well-marked with griddle lines and tender. If they are colouring too quickly, move to a cooler part of the barbecue to cook more gently.
- Towards the end of the cooking time, place the cut sides of the brioche rolls on the barbecue bars and toast for a minute, until marked with griddle lines.
- Spread the lower bun halves with mayonnaise and top with a mushroom, gills-side up. Pile some slaw on top and finish with the bun top.
Tip: You can also cook the mushrooms using a griddle pan.
See more Barbecue recipes