This edible gift can be made up to two weeks in advance and will keep for up to one month in the airtight container. This quick recipe will produce a lovely gift for children to pass on. Aside from the ingredients, you’ll need 4 jam jars of 224ml (7 1/2fl oz) volume with lids, as well as some ribbon, twine and gift cards. Let the kids get creative by decorating the jars and writing the instructions as in the last step.
- Sterilize the jars by washing them thoroughly, and placing them in a large pot of boiling water. After 5 minutes remove the jars and let them air-dry.
- Lay out the jars and divide the sugar evenly between them. Create a thin layer of sugar at the bottom of the jars by lightly shaking them.
- Pass the cocoa, cinnamon, mixed spice and salt through a sieve into a clean, dry bowl. Spoon the mixture between the jars, so the cocoa mix creates a different coloured layer over the sugar layer.
- Carefully stuff marshmallows into each of the jars and then screw the lids on.
- Tie each whole star anise to a cinnamon stick with twine, to create 4 spice bundles.
- Use a decorative ribbon to tie the bundles and a gift card with instructions to the top of each jar – a suggested message is in Step 9. Why not get the kids involved at this stage - let them get creative with paint or glitter to personalise the jars for friends and family!
- To serve, take the marshmallows out of the jar and place the spice bundle inside. Bring 200ml (7fl oz) of milk to the boil and then leave to cool slightly.
- When the milk is warm, pour it into the jar and replace the lid. Give the jar a good shake and then take the lid off and pop the marshmallows in. Add a straw so you can drink up!
- If you’re presenting these kits as gifts, get the kids to write instructions on the gift cards as follows: “To whip up this delicious spiced hot chocolate, first open the jar and take out the marshmallows. Put your spice bundle into the jar. Boil 200ml (7fl oz) of milk and then let it cool until it becomes warm. Pour the milk into the jar, place the lid back on securely, and give it a good shake. Open the jar up, and add the marshmallows. Finally, add a straw and sip away!”
Find out more about the chefs
See more Christmas recipes for kids
A recipe from the Great British Chefs edible gifts collection