A true Italian classic which has been given a healthy makeover with a few simple ingredient swaps. Using succulent turkey, light olive oil and wholewheat pasta, this wholesome and healthy spaghetti Bolognese is truly gorgeous.
- Heat the oil in a large, non-stick, heavy-bottomed saucepan. Add the onion, celery and 2 tablespoons water and fry for 5 minutes or until the vegetables have softened. Add the courgette and fry for another 2-3 minutes.
- Add the mince and garlic and fry for another 3-4 minutes, stirring frequently or until the mince has broken up and is starting to brown. Stir well.
- Add the grated carrot and 150ml of the beef stock or red wine, if preferred, and simmer for 3-4 minutes.
- Then add the tinned tomatoes, 450ml (3/4 pint) beef stock and the bay leaves and bring to the boil. Cover with a lid, turn down the heat to medium-low and leave to simmer for 45 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove the lid and cook for another 10-15 minutes, or until the liquid has reduced and thickened to desired consistency.
- Cook the spaghetti according to packet instructions, drain and divide between 6 plates. Place a spoonful of Bolognese on top of each plate, scatter with basil leaves and Parmesan shavings.
See more Healthy recipes
For top tips on protecting you and your family when preparing raw meat and poultry, visit Food Safety in the Home.