Pot-roast chicken recipe
Perfect for a lazy Sunday afternoon, this one-pot roast chicken is succulent and tender once ready to serve. Throw in your typical Sunday roast veg and you've got a winner of a meal on your hands! See method
- 1.5kg whole chicken
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 reduced-salt chicken stock cube, made up to 1ltr
- 1 red onion, cut into wedges
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 bay leaves
- 3 celery sticks, cut into 2cm pieces
- 225g pack Tesco Finest chorizo ring, cut into 1cm slices
- 2 red peppers, cut into 2-3cm pieces
- 250g bag spinach
- 10g fresh parsley, roughly chopped
- roasted sweet potato, to serve (optional)
Tesco Finest Viñas Del Rey Albariño 75Cl
With aromas of apricot, white flowers and honeysuckle, this wine pairs perfectly with chicken and chorizo
If you don't have red onions, try using white, brown or spring onions
Each serving contains
of the reference intake
- Rub the chicken with salt and pepper. Heat the oil in a large flameproof casserole dish over a high heat and brown the chicken on all sides for 8-10 mins.
- Reduce the heat to medium and add the stock, onion, garlic, bay leaves, celery, chorizo and red pepper around the chicken. Bring to the boil, then cover and simmer for 1 hr-1 hr 10 mins until the chicken is cooked through and the juices run clear when a skewer is inserted into the thickest part of the bird.
- Remove the chicken from the dish and set aside to cool slightly. Add the spinach and parsley to the dish, stir until the leaves are wilted, then spoon into shallow bowls. Carve the chicken and divide between the bowls. Serve with roasted sweet potato, if you like.
See more easy chicken recipes
For top tips on protecting you and your family when preparing raw meat and poultry, visit Food Safety in the Home.