1. Gently melt the chocolate and butter together over a small pan of lightly simmering water.
2. In a separate bowl, whisk in the eggs, additional egg yolks, sugar and vanilla essence as much as possible to combine together.
3. Add the melted chocolate and butter mix to the eggs and continue to whisk until all ingredients are incorporated.
4. Gently fold in the sifted flour, cocoa powder and sea salt.
5. To bake straight away, divide the mix between 6 – 8 ovenproof medium-sized ramekins greased with butter and sprinkled with sugar (to prevent sticking), and bake for 12 mins at gas 5, 180°C, fan 160°C. Alternatively, freeze the mix in the ramekins, then defrost to room temperature the day before or morning of eating and bake for 16 mins. The mixture can also be frozen in piping bags if you are short on freezer space.
Freezing and defrosting guidelines
In order to enjoy optimum flavour and quality, frozen items are best used within 3 months of their freezing date. For more tips on freezing and defrosting food, read our article Love Your Freezer.
See more Christmas recipes