Lemon loaf cake
Bake this classic lemon loaf cake recipe for a simple afternoon treat. This easy bake has a triple lemon hit - a light and fluffy lemon sponge, tangy lemon syrup to keep the cake super tender and then a finishing drizzle of lemon glacé icing.
- Preheat the oven to gas 5, 180°C, fan 160°C. Grease and line a 2lb loaf tin. In a large mixing bowl cream together the butter and sugar with an electric whisk or wooden spoon until pale and very fluffy. Whisk in the eggs one at a time, then whisk in the lemon juice and zest.
- Sift over the flour and baking powder, then fold through using a large metal spoon. Pour the batter into the cake tin, level the top and bake for 45-50 mins (check after 40 mins – if the top is browning too much cover loosely with foil) until risen and an inserted tip of a knife comes out clean.
- Allow the cake to cool in the tin for 15 mins. Meanwhile, make the syrup by mixing together the lemon juice and icing sugar until smooth.
- Remove the cake from the tin and transfer to a wire rack, then brush the syrup over the cake while it’s still warm. Allow to cool completely.
- For the glacé icing, mix the lemon juice into the icing sugar, adding it gradually until the icing is ‘just’ runny and thick enough to coat the back of a spoon. Spread over the top of the cake, allowing it to drip a little.
See more Cake recipes
View full recipe details