Master a classic baking recipe with these simple vanilla cupcakes. Fluffy, golden sponge is topped with a swirl of rich vanilla buttercream for an easy bake that will be the star of any birthday party, afternoon tea or bake sale.
- Preheat the oven to gas 4, 180°C, fan 160°C. Line a 12-hole cupcake tin with paper cases. Put the butter and sugar in a large mixing bowl and beat with an electric whisk (or by hand with a wooden spoon) for 2-3 mins until pale and fluffy.[Video:How to cream together butter and sugar,Text:How to cream together butter and sugar until light and fluffy]
- Add the eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition. Add the vanilla extract and beat briefly to combine. Gently fold in the flour and just enough milk to make a smooth batter that drops easily off the spoon.
- Divide the batter between the cases, then bake for 20-25 mins or until a skewer inserted into the middle comes out clean. Transfer the cakes to a wire rack and leave to cool completely.[Video:Baking tips - clean skewer,Text:What should a clean skewer look like?]
- Meanwhile, make the buttercream icing. Put all the ingredients in a large mixing bowl and beat with an electric whisk for 4-5 mins until pale and fluffy.
- Swirl the icing over the cooled cupcakes to serve. Store in an airtight container for up to 3 days.
Tip: Leave plain or decorate these simple cupcakes however you like – try topping with fresh raspberries or strawberries, scattering over sugar sprinkles or grated chocolate, drizzle over caramel sauce or maple syrup, or swirl with lemon curd or jam.
See more Baking recipes
As part of a healthy balanced diet, we recommend this recipe for a special occasion or treat.
View full recipe details