Blueberry and goat's cheese pizza recipe
These flavours may sound unusual, but blueberry and goat's cheese work really well together, especially on pizza! This sweet and savoury pizza is delicious, with bursts of tangy, sweet blueberries and creamy goat's cheese. See method
- 250g (8oz) strong white flour
- 2 tsp clear honey
- 1/2 sachet fast action dried yeast
- 1 tbsp olive oil, plus extra for greasing
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 2 sprigs thyme
- 1 tbsp soft brown sugar
- 1 tbsp cider vinegar
- 50g (2oz) blueberries
- 150g (5oz) goat’s cheese
- rocket leaves, to garnish (optional)
Each serving contains
of the reference intake
- Start by making the dough. Tip the flour into a mixing bowl with a good pinch of salt, the honey and yeast. Gradually pour in up to 175ml (6fl oz) lukewarm water and mix until the dough is soft but not sticky – you may not need all the liquid. Wash your hands and lightly oil them and your work surface. Knead the dough for 5-8 minutes, until smooth. Put into an oiled bowl and leave to rise in a warm place until doubled in size.
- While the dough is rising, you can fry the onions. Heat the oil in a frying pan with a pinch of salt and add the onions. Cook on a low heat for about 15 mins, until they are meltingly soft but not browned. Once soft, increase the heat and add the garlic and most of the thyme leaves along with the sugar and vinegar. Cook for a few minutes more, stirring often, until the onions are sticky and caramelised. Season to taste with salt and black pepper.
- Heat oven to gas 7, 220°C, fan 200°C and use a pizza stone if you have one. Knock the dough back into the bowl and roll out, or stretch into a round or oblong using your hands. (Oiling the surface and the rolling pin will help.) Oil a flat baking tray or pizza tray and put the base on top. Cover loosely with oiled clingfilm and leave for 10 minutes to rest.
- Remove and stretch the base out a little more to fill the tray. Spread the onions on top, then scatter with the blueberries. Slice or crumble the goat’s cheese and arrange on top. Now sprinkle on the reserved thyme leaves and some black pepper, if liked. Cook for 12-14 mins, until golden and cooked through. Before serving, scatter with the rocket leaves and a drizzle of olive oil, if liked.
See more Pizza recipes
Honey is unsuitable for children under 12 months.