Kick off your holidays by mixing up a batch of this classic holiday beverage - it's a warming, delicious way to keep the chill at bay.
- Whisk together the egg yolks and sugar in a bowl until well combined. Pour the milk into a saucepan, add the vanilla pod or extract and cinnamon sticks, place over a medium low heat and bring just to the boil.
- Pour the hot milk over the egg and sugar mix and whisk well. Pour back into the cleaned out pan, place over a low medium heat and stir constantly until thickened slightly.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the rum or brandy, set aside to cool for approximately 20-25 minutes and then chill for at least 3 hours.
- Once cool, whisk the cream and fold into the mixture.
- Fill 6-8 glasses with ice and pour over the eggnog. Sprinkle with a little ground cinnamon or a grating of fresh nutmeg and decorate each glass with a cinnamon stick.
See more Drinks recipes
If serving vulnerable groups, elderly people, babies, toddlers, pregnant women and people who are unwell, cook until the whites and yolks are solid.