A meat-lover's dream, these mouthwateringly juicy steaks are accompanied by crispy fries and a zesty tomato salsa. This simple recipe guarantees perfectly cooked steak every time, and is sure to be revisited again and again.
- Preheat the oven to gas 7, 220°C, fan 200°C. Soak the chips in a bowl of cold water for 30 minutes, or blanch in boiling water for 5 minutes. Drain the chips and dry well with kitchen paper. In a bowl, toss the chips with 1 tbsp oil and some seasoning. Spread out onto 2 baking trays, lined with nonstick baking paper, and bake for 30-40 minutes, tossing every so often, until cooked through and crispy.
- Meanwhile, start making the salsa. Put the red onion in a bowl, sprinkle with the salt and leave for 10 minutes.
- Rub the steaks with the extra oil and season. Heat a griddle pan until hot. Cook the steaks for 2 minutes each side for medium-rare, or longer if you prefer well done. Set aside and keep warm to rest.
- Rinse the red onion in warm water and drain. Add to a bowl with the tomatoes, the lemon zest and juice, extra-virgin olive oil and some seasoning and stir well.
- Serve the steaks with the fries and salsa and a crisp green salad.
See more Steak recipes
For top tips on protecting you and your family when preparing raw meat and poultry, visit Food Safety in the Home.