A meat-lover's dream, these mouthwateringly juicy steaks are accompanied by crispy fries and a zesty tomato salsa. This simple recipe guarantees perfectly cooked steak every time, and is sure to be revisited again and again.
- Preheat the oven to gas 7, 220°C, fan 200°C. Soak the chips in a bowl of cold water for 30 minutes, or blanch in boiling water for 5 minutes. Drain the chips and dry well with kitchen paper. In a bowl, toss the chips with 1 tbsp oil and some seasoning. Spread out onto 2 baking trays, lined with nonstick baking paper, and bake for 30-40 minutes, tossing every so often, until cooked through and crispy.
- Meanwhile, start making the salsa. Put the red onion in a bowl, sprinkle with the salt and leave for 10 minutes.
- Rub the steaks with the extra oil and season. Heat a griddle pan until hot. Cook the steaks for 2 minutes each side for medium-rare, or longer if you prefer well done. Set aside and keep warm to rest.
- Rinse the red onion in warm water and drain. Add to a bowl with the tomatoes, the lemon zest and juice, extra-virgin olive oil and some seasoning and stir well.
- Serve the steaks with the fries and salsa and a crisp green salad.
See more Steak recipes
For top tips on protecting you and your family when preparing raw meat and poultry, visit Food Safety in the Home and view the full Food safety at home video.