Vegan Aussie party pies recipe
Kick start your Veganuary with a plant-based alternative to a classic Down Under bake from Temple of Seitan's Rebecca McGuinness. These party pies use Plant Chef frozen mince and meat-free stock cubes to recreate the traditional Australian favourite. Don't forget the Marmite – it adds extra umami notes. See method
- 1 tbsp olive oil, plus extra for brushing
- 1 small onion, finely diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 heaped tbsp tomato purée
- 225g Plant Chef Frozen Mince
- ½ tsp Bisto gravy powder
- 1 Oxo meat-free vegan beef flavoured stock cube
- 1 bay leaf
- ½ tsp Marmite
- 2 tbsp flour
- 320g shortcrust pastry
- 320g pack puff pastry
- Heat the oil in a pan over a medium heat. Add the onion and cook for 5 mins until translucent. Add the garlic, tomato purée and mince, and cook for 3 mins.
- Add 250ml of water, the gravy powder, Oxo cube, bay leaf and Marmite. Mix the flour with 2 tbsp water and add to the pan with a further 150ml of water. Stir well to combine and simmer, uncovered, for 15 mins or until the mixture thickens, stirring occasionally. Season to taste.
- Leave to cool for 10 mins, then remove the bay leaf, and preheat the oven to gas 4, 180°C, fan 160°C.
- Roll out the shortcrust pastry to the thickness of a £1 coin. Put a 9cm cookie cutter or glass over the underside of the muffin tray you’ll be using to bake the pies in to ensure that the cup fits over the mould and cut discs out of the shortcrust pastry using the cookie cutter/glass. (Alternatively mould the dough directly onto the reverse side of the muffin moulds.) Shape the discs or moulded pastry into the muffin tray moulds so that they fit perfectly.
- Spoon 2-3 tbsp of the mince mixture into each pastry case, filling the mould.
- Roll out the puff pastry sheet and using a smaller (6cm) cookie cutter/glass (fitting over the diameter of the muffin mould) cut out ‘lids’ and place onto each pie, pressing the edges of the shortcrust and puff pastry together. Brush the lids with oil.
- Place the muffin tray into the preheated oven and bake for 25 mins. Remove and leave to cool. Serve with ketchup.
See more Savoury baking recipes