Sweet potato, thyme and Parmesan flower tart
For a delicious savoury treat, try this delicate rose-shaped tart made with sweet potato, thyme and flavoursome Parmesan. An elegant and vibrant dish, it's perfect for serving at a casual lunch with friends.
- Use the pastry to line a 23cm diameter tart tin with a removable base, patching as needed and leaving the excess pastry untrimmed. Chill for 20 minutes.[Video:How to line a tart tin,Text:How to line a tart tin]
- Meanwhile, preheat the oven to gas 5, 190°C, fan 170°C.
- Prick the pastry base several times with a fork and line with baking paper. Fill the centre with baking beans or uncooked rice to weigh the paper down. Set on a baking tray and cook for 15 minutes until the pastry no longer looks raw. Remove the paper and beans and return the pastry case to the oven for a further 5 minutes or until it turns a pale golden colour. Trim off the excess pastry flush with the top of the tin and set aside.[Video:How to blind bake,Text:How to blind bake]
- Reduce the oven to gas 3, 170°C, fan 150°C.
- For the sweet potatoes: to create long ribbons, it’s best to slice the sweet potatoes from top to bottom with a mandolin, using a hand guard, but a sturdy swivel peeler also works well. The slices must be long, very thin and bendy. Put the potato slices in a mixing bowl and toss with 2 tablespoons of the olive oil to coat and a little salt and pepper.
- Strip the thyme leaves from two of the stalks and combine with the grated Parmesan, eggs and crème fraîche in a small bowl. Season lightly. Spread this mixture over the base of the tart and top with the sweet potato, arranged vertically in a concentric circle from the outside to the inside. The potato slices should begin to form a ‘rose’ effect.
- Scatter with the remaining thyme sprigs and drizzle with the remaining olive oil. Bake for 40 minutes or so, until the sweet potato is tender. Serve warm or at room temperature, with salad leaves.
Freezing and defrosting guidelines
Once the dish has cooled completely, transfer it to an airtight, freezer-safe container, seal and freeze for up to 1-3 months. To serve, defrost thoroughly in the fridge overnight before reheating. Loosely cover with foil and bake until dish is thoroughly heated through. Reheat until piping hot.
See more Sweet potato recipes
View full recipe details