Liam's 'simple' salmon supper
Fresh salmon is Tesco fishmonger, Liam's, favourite, and this simple salmon supper is his go-to recipe when he needs something quick and tasty in the week. Ready in just 30 mins, he loves how the tangy crème fraîche sauce and smoky bacon and pea potatoes complement the fish without overpowering the salmon's natural flavour - a tip he loves to pass on to customers. Luckily, he gets to share his knowledge and passion with them every day in store.
- Preheat the oven to gas 7, 220°C, fan 200°C. Cook the potatoes in a pan of boiling water for 20-25 mins, until tender. Drain and return to the pan. Using the back of a fork, lightly crush the potatoes.
- Meanwhile, rub 1 tbsp of the oil over the salmon fillets, put on a baking sheet lined with foil and season. Roast in the oven for 8-10 mins, until cooked through.
- Heat a non-stick frying pan over a high heat. Add the lardons and stir-fry for 4-5 mins, until crisp. Add the potatoes and fry for 1 min to colour. Mix in the peas and cook, stirring occasionally, for 1-2 mins until defrosted and heated through.
- Heat the remaining oil in a separate frying pan over a medium heat. Add the spring onions and cook, stirring occasionally, for 2-3 mins to soften. Mix in the crème fraîche, mustard, dill and capers, adding a dash of water if the sauce seems a little thick. Season and bring to the boil then remove from the heat.
- To serve, divide the salmon and potatoes between 4 plates and spoon over the sauce. Garnish with a little chopped dill and lemon wedges on the side.
You can use any salmon fillets in this recipe, but fresh wild sockeye is Liam’s recommendation.
Use up leftover bacon lardons, capers, and crème fraîche in a warming stew. Simply fry the lardons with onion and garlic, brown off and chop up a few sausages, and pop in a casserole dish with a tin of chopped tomatoes and a handful each of green and black olives. Cook for 40 mins, then serve with rice and a sprinkling of parsley for a satisfying evening meal.
For top tips on protecting you and your family when preparing raw meat and poultry, visit Food Safety in the Home and view the full Food safety at home video.
View full recipe details