Silky spinach, tangy tomato and salty Parma ham sit neatly on a traditional pizza base, topped with a perfectly cooked egg – this classic Italian Florentine pizza recipe boasts vibrant, fresh flavours for a delicious dinner idea that's perfect for sharing.
- To make the pizza dough, mix the flour, sugar, 2 tsp salt, and yeast in a bowl. Stir in the oil and add about 300ml (10fl oz) lukewarm water to make a soft, but not sticky dough.
- Tip onto a floured work surface and knead for 10 minutes. Transfer to a clean bowl, cover with oiled clingfilm and set aside to prove in a warm place for 1 hour, or until doubled in size.
- Meanwhile, cook the tomatoes in a pan until thickened and reduced; season well. Preheat the oven to its highest setting. Divide the dough into 4 and shape each into a ball. Roll out thinly and put on 4 baking sheets lined with nonstick baking paper.
- Spread each base with tomato sauce, then scatter over the spinach, mozzarella and ham. Bake, in batches if needed, for 8 minutes.
- Crack an egg in the centre of each pizza. Continue baking for 2-3 minutes more, until the egg is just set and the crust is crisp.
See more Italian recipes
If serving vulnerable groups, elderly people, toddlers, pregnant women and people who are unwell, cook eggs until the whites and yolks are solid.
View full recipe details