David's 'hot or not' chicken curry
If you've seen our recent TV ad, you'll be in on our Food Love Story about 'David's' shameful secret: when he met his wife he fibbed about sharing her love of spicy food. Fifteen years later, he hasn't come clean, but he's still making her her favourite curry – with a sneaky dollop of cooling yogurt for him.
- Put the yogurt and 1 tbsp curry paste in a bowl, add the chicken and stir until coated. Leave to marinate for at least 15 minutes, or up to 1 hour, to allow the flavours to develop.
- In a frying pan, heat the oil, add the onion and fry over a medium heat, until soft. Add the garlic and ginger and fry for a further 1-2 minutes.
- Add the remaining curry paste and stir through until everything is coated. Stir in the chopped tomatoes and green beans; season. Leave to simmer on a low heat for about 15 minutes, until thickened slightly.
- Meanwhile, cook the rice following the pack instructions.
- Put the chicken on a foil-lined baking sheet and grill, under a medium-high heat, for 6-8 minutes on each side. Once cooked through, slice into 2cm cubes and mix into the curry.
- Serve with the rice and coriander. To tone down the spice, serve with a dollop of low-fat natural yogurt, stirred into the curry.
Add extra flavour by cutting the chicken into 2cm cubes before marinating. Thread onto metal skewers and grill (turning once). When cooked through, slide off the skewers and stir into the sauce.
Leftover curry paste? Try spreading on bread when making a cheese toastie for a hot little kick.
Freezing and defrosting guidelines
Freeze curry only. Cook as instructed and allow to cool completely. Then transfer to an airtight, freezer-safe container, seal and freeze for up to 1-3 months. To serve, defrost thoroughly in the fridge overnight before reheating. To reheat and serve, place on medium heat, stirring occasionally until the dish is heated through.
For top tips on protecting you and your family when preparing raw meat and poultry, visit Food Safety in the Home and view the full Food safety at home video.
View full recipe details