Jini's 'make it better' jambalaya
One of our Food Love Stories features 'Jini', who knows that there’s only one way to heal her 14-year-old son Jack’s broken heart when he and his girlfriend split up (again): a big bowl of her homemade sausage jambalaya. Quick, warming and delicious, it’s like a hug in a bowl – the perfect cure for teenage heartbreak.
- Put the rice in a sieve and rinse thoroughly under cold water for about 1 min.
- Heat the oil in a large pan and brown the sausages for a few minutes. Stir in the Cajun seasoning and onion, and cook for 2 mins.
- Add the rice to the pan and cook for another 30 secs, then pour in the chopped tomatoes and 400ml water.
- Bring to the boil, lower the heat, cover with a lid and simmer for 10 mins.
- Stir in the frozen veg and cook for another 10 mins. Season. Serve piping hot.
Change up the frozen veg to suit your family’s taste – sweetcorn, mixed peppers or sliced green beans are all great options.
Try sprinkling Cajun seasoning over fish fillets, chicken breast and potato wedges before cooking for an extra hit of flavour.
For top tips on protecting you and your family when preparing raw meat and poultry, visit Food Safety in the Home.
View full recipe details