Sweet and sour pork stir-fry
Recreate a take away classic at home with this sweet and sour pork stir-fry recipe. A tin of pineapple is the secret to the perfectly balanced sticky sauce, then just add quick-fried pork and mangetout for a speedy dinner.
- Bring a large pan of salted water to the boil. Add the rice and cook for 15 mins until tender.
- Meanwhile, put the flour into a bowl. Drain the pineapple rings, reserving the juice. Add the juice to the flour and whisk well until there are no lumps. Add the soy sauce, ginger, honey, tomato purée, garlic and 4 tbsp water. Mix well until fully combined and smooth.
- Cut the pineapple rings into chunks. Heat 1 tbsp oil in a wok or high-sided frying pan over a high heat. Fry the pork strips for 4-6 mins until starting to turn lightly golden and cooked through. Remove from the pan and set aside.
- Add another 1 tbsp oil to the pan and fry the red onion and mangetout for 3-4 mins until tender. Add the chopped pineapple, sauce and cooked pork back to the pan, and simmer everything for 4-5 mins until the sauce has thickened and coats the veg. Add a splash of water if the sauce thickens too much.
- Drain the rice. Serve in bowls with the sweet and sour pork over the top.
See more Pork recipes
For top tips on protecting you and your family when preparing raw meat and poultry, visit Food Safety in the Home.
View full recipe details