If you’ve never tried making bread at home before, this is the recipe to start with. This classic white bread roll recipe shows just how easy bread baking can be, using just a few ingredients and a little bit of kneading to achieve soft, fluffy rolls that are perfect for burgers and sandwiches or alongside hearty soups and stews.
- Grease a large baking tray with oil. Sift the flour and salt into a large mixing bowl, then stir in the yeast and sugar, making sure the ingredients are well mixed.
- Make a well in the middle and gradually add 300ml warm water. Using a wooden spoon, mix to form a soft dough. Sprinkle a little flour onto a clean work surface and tip the dough out onto it.
- Knead the dough by pushing down into the middle to flatten and stretch it out, then folding it in half and pushing down into the centre again. Continue kneading the dough for around 10 mins until soft and smooth.[Video:How to knead,Text:How to knead]
- Divide the dough into 8 pieces and roll gently to shape them into balls before placing them onto the baking tray. Cover the rolls loosely with lightly oiled clingfilm or a damp tea towel and leave to prove for around 45 mins in a warm place, or until they have doubled in size. Meanwhile, preheat the oven to gas 7, 220°C, fan 200°C.[Video:What does 'doubled in size' look like?,Text:What does 'doubled in size' look like?]
- Bake the rolls for 18-20 mins until golden brown. Allow to cool slightly and serve warm.
Tip: Once you’ve mastered the basic bread rolls, try adding different ingredients for a twist. Grated cheese, mixed seeds or finely chopped herbs all work well: either stir into the dough before kneading or sprinkle over the tops of the rolls before baking.
See more Bread recipes
View full recipe details