Jalapeño and cheese waffles with bacon and eggs
Brunches like this are what lazy weekends are all about – wake up your tastebuds with these fiery, cheesy jalapeño waffles, served with crispy, smoky bacon and topped with a perfectly fried egg.
- Crack one egg into a mixing bowl and pour in the milk. Whisk together. Sift the flour and baking powder into the bowl and whisk into a smooth batter. Add the butter, cheese, 3 tsp jalapeños and a pinch of salt. Mix well.
- Heat a large griddle pan over a high heat. Once smoking, add the bacon and cook for 2-3 mins each side, until golden and crispy. Remove from the pan, set aside and cover to keep warm.
- Reheat the griddle over a high heat and add 1 tsp olive oil. Pour in the batter, reduce the heat to low and leave for 6-7 mins until set and golden in colour.
- Cut the waffle in half. Flip each side over and cook for another 6-8 mins, until golden and slightly firm to the touch. Transfer to a chopping board and cut each piece in half so you have four waffles.
- Meanwhile, heat the remaining oil in a large non-stick frying pan over a medium heat. Crack in the remaining eggs, season with salt and cook for 3-4 mins until the whites have set and the yolks are to your liking.
- To serve, put the waffles onto four plates and top each with an egg and two rashers of bacon. Scatter over a few chilli flakes, the remaining jalapeños and the parsley. Serve immediately.
See more Breakfast recipes
For top tips on protecting you and your family when preparing raw meat and poultry, visit Food Safety in the Home.
View full recipe details