French onion soup
This French onion soup recipe is a classic for a reason – it uses simple ingredients, yet is incredibly comforting and hearty. The onions are cooked slowly until almost caramelised, before being topped with a cheesy toast to mop up all those lovely flavours.
- Melt the butter and oil together in a large heavy-based pan over a medium heat. Add the onions and salt and cook for 10 mins, stirring regularly until softened. Reduce the heat to low and cover the pan with a lid. Cook for 15 mins, stirring occasionally.
- Add the garlic and cook, uncovered, for another 10-12 mins or until the onions are very soft and caramelised. Keep stirring every so often to stop them catching.
- Sprinkle in the flour and stir to mix well. Increase the heat and pour in the wine, if using, allowing it to bubble away for a few mins. Make up the stock cubes with 1 ltr hot water and add to the pan along with the thyme sprigs. Bring to the boil, then leave to simmer for 30 mins.
- Preheat the grill to high. Toast the baguette slices on each side. Ladle the soup into 4 heat-proof bowls or dishes and top each with 2 baguette slices. Scatter with the grated cheese then cook under the hot grill for 1-2 mins until the cheese is melted, bubbling and golden.
- Garnish with freshly ground black pepper and a few fresh thyme leaves to serve.
Tip: If you don’t have heat-proof bowls to serve, toast the baguettes as above, then place on a baking tray. Top with the cheese and place under the grill to melt, then ladle the soup into serving bowls and place the grilled cheese toasts on top.
See more Soup recipes
Freezing and defrosting guidelines
Freeze soup only. Cook to the end of step 3, then cool completely and transfer to a freezer-proof container, leaving a little room for expansion. Defrost fully at room temperature then transfer to a pan and heat through until bubbling. In order to enjoy optimum flavour and quality, frozen items are best used within 3 months of their freezing date. For more tips on freezing and defrosting food, read our article Love Your Freezer.
View full recipe details