Mum's 'all from frozen' sweet potato pie
This sweet potato-topped chicken pie recipe is one of Vicky’s kids’ favourite meals, which is great because when she’s busy juggling work with school runs, it’s tricky thinking up healthy recipes that her family will love. This dish is great for a weeknight, as the ingredients are all stashed in the freezer, ready to be cooked with no need to prep anything in advance.
- Preheat the oven to gas 7, 220°C, fan 200°C. Put the diced chicken in a saucepan, cover with boiling water and poach for 20-25 mins, until cooked through.
- Meanwhile, prepare the mash according to the pack instructions. Mix in half the chives, then set aside to cool.
- Melt the butter in a saucepan over a medium heat. Add the garlic and cook for 30 secs. Take the pan off the heat and add the flour, mixing until a thick paste forms.
- Pour in the stock, a little at a time, whisking as you go. Mix in the remaining chives and the nutmeg; season. Cook for 1-2 mins, whisking occasionally.
- Add the kale and mixed veg to the sauce. Increase the heat until bubbling, then reduce to a simmer. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 7-8 mins.
- Chop the cooked chicken into bite-sized pieces and add to the sauce. Transfer to an ovenproof dish and top with the mash; smooth over evenly, scoring lines on the top.
- Bake for 25-30 mins, or until the top is crisp and golden. Sprinkle with a few extra chopped chives to serve.
- Cook the beans in a pan of boiling water for 4-6 mins. Drain and serve with the pie.
Put a baking tray on the oven shelf below the pie as it cooks, to catch any sauce that might bubble over.
If you’re looking for a recipe to use up frozen veg, soup is a quick and easy option. In a large pan, add a few tbsp of frozen chopped onion and a tsp of frozen garlic over a medium heat. Add 600ml hot stock, a tin of chopped tomatoes, and whatever frozen veg you have. Cook for 20 mins, then blitz until smooth with a hand blender. Sprinkle over a handful of chopped chives or parsley and serve with crusty bread.
For top tips on protecting you and your family when preparing raw meat and poultry, visit Food Safety in the Home and view the full Food safety at home video.
View full recipe details