BBQ cauliflower steaks and herb sauce
BBQ season doesn’t have to just be about meat as these smoky charred cauliflower steaks show. A simple vegan BBQ idea, the steaks are brushed with an aromatic caraway and garlic oil before being grilled and served with a punchy fresh herb dressing.
- Preheat the barbecue. Trim the base of the cauliflowers so that they sit flat, then cut into 2cm-thick slices (see Tip, below).
- In a small bowl, mix together 3 tbsp of the oil with the caraway seeds and garlic. Season, then brush the oil all over the cauliflower steaks.
- Cook on the preheated barbecue, away from the main heat, for 5-6 mins on each side until charred and just tender. Alternatively, cook the steaks (2 at a time, depending on their size) in a griddle pan over a medium-low heat for the same time.
- Meanwhile, mix together the chopped herbs, spring onions, chilli and remaining 3 tbsp of oil in a small bowl. Squeeze in the juice of ½ a lemon and taste – add a little more lemon juice or oil to taste. Season.
- Drizzle the herb sauce over the steaks and serve with the remaining lemon cut into wedges.
Tip: Cauliflowers may vary in size – try to find 2 the same and aim for about 4 slices from each. Any end bits that are left can be kept for another dish; blitz into cauliflower rice to toss through a salad or add to a traybake of roasted vegetables.
If you haven’t got caraway seeds, fennel seeds would also work well.
See more Barbecue ideas
View full recipe details